6.30.2008

Wall-E: The Movie: The Review

by Betsy

As we walked into the movie theater to see Wall-E, my husband remarked that we were undoubtedly seeing the movie for the first of many times. Such is life with a three-year-old, and such is the power of Disney-Pixar. I'm happy to report that this movie is so good that it will probably take hundreds of viewings until I'm sick and tired of it.

Pixar definitely sets the bar high, and Wall-E more than clears it. In fact, I'd say this movie surpasses modern classics like The Incredibles and Finding Nemo.

The year is 2700, and humans have covered the Earth in trash to the point that they've all left for an extended cruise in space while robots clear it up. Unfortunately, all of them have broken down, save one, our hero Wall-E.

Wall-E may be a robot - he barely even speaks throughout the entire movie - but his humanity shines through, immediately endearing him to me. He has a natural curiosity, seeking out interesting objects in the trash and bringing them home. And, he wants nothing more in the world than love. When EVE, another robot, lands on Earth, their unfolding romance is nothing short of beautiful.

Wall-E and EVE end up on the spaceship with all of the humans, and while Wall-E has human characteristics, the humans themselves are floating around space, robotically slurping down huge drinks, constantly plugged into computer monitors, fat, and disconnected with the world. How the rest of the movie unfolds, I'll leave to you to discover - I'd hate to do any more than I already have to keep this lovely movie from unfolding for you as it did for me.

Pixar has yet to make a bad movie; even its lesser offerings (A Bug's Life, for example) are better than most animated movies. What makes Wall-E stand above even such great animated movies is its broad appeal. Kids will love it (and my son did) because it's funny and charming. Adults will love it too - not because it's tolerable as kiddie movies go, and not because it makes pop culture jokes over kids' heads (I'm looking at you, Shrek. You too, Aladdin.) Instead, Wall-E is a movie that is true family entertainment, equally delightful for all ages, simply because of the strength of its story.

I have no doubt that I will end up watching Wall-E with my son many, many times. I also am confident that every single time, it will be with a smile on my face.

Rating: A+

5 comments:

Jon Quixote said...

I too loved WALL*E.

I think it's with INCREDIBLES as Pixar's best work. The thing with so many of their movies - as beautifully crafted as they are - is that they're still "talking animal" movies that also purport to take place in our world. For me, that often amounts to an omnipresent notion that I'm watching fiction. RATATOUILLE (which seemed particularly egregious due to all the human interaction). FINDING NEMO. Even TOY STORY.

With WALL*E, they create a fully-functioning ingrained world and I was just completely sucked in. WALL*E seemed as real to me as a human actor. Or ET. And that took it to a whole new level.

Midwest said...

I find it sad that you don't think toys come to life when you leave the room.

Mr. Jackazz said...

Great review Betsy!

I was also a huge fan of Wall-E.

The first 45 minutes were so great and genius in the way they told the story with next to no dialogue.

Pixar did an excellent job of giving each robot a distinct personality that both young and old people can identify with.

This one definitely is close to the top of my favorite Pixar films.

Jon Quixote said...

The problem was when they came to life when the kid *was* in the room. I believe the Law of Living Toys clearly states that when that happens, the toy freezes up and "dies."

Dan said...

Loved WALL*E. There were several times in the first 45 minutes that I'd forget I was watching an animated movie. It was a spectacular technical achievement with an incredibly heartwarming story.

And, like Jon, I think a big part of that was due to the believability of it all.