9.03.2008

Raiding Top Shelf's $3 Sale

by Brandon

There are so many reasons to love reading comics published by Top Shelf Productions. They are probably the most consistent indie publishers out there, producing some of the best fiction and nonfiction on the shelf at your fine local comic shop. They also have a slew of prime talent behind their books like James Kochalka, Alan Moore, Eddie Campbell, Liz Prince, Craig Thompson, Andy Runton, Alex Robinson,and many, many more. So, honestly, who needs another reason to love these guys?

Well... How about a huge $3 Sale? Yeah, that will do.

If you read my normal column Panelology or have spent more than five minutes hanging around me, you know I'm a cheapskate. It's not that I don't like spending money, it's just that I don't have much. You can't really be a "high rolla" on a teacher's salary. Every cent has to count for something. When I saw this sale go live last night at their website, my wallet leaps at the chance to finally roam freely through fields of e-commerce.

So what did I end up getting? I got some very cool stuff. Here are some of the highlights!

The Surrogates #'s 1-5 by Robert Venditti & Brett Weldele:
I've heard nothing but positive buzz about this comic. I've read several reviews online, but I haven't really seen it anywhere. The local shops around here pretty much pander to (a) DC whores, (b) Marvel zombies, or (c) Pokemon prostitutes. It's too bad because this futuristic book looks like it blends action and science fiction well. I'm a sucker for great Sci-Fi, so this book promises to be a must-read once it arrives. It's definitely going to be tough competition for the first read, but I think this book has a lock on that first spot.


Sketchbook Diaries vol. 1-4 by James Kochalka
Kochalka is the funniest man operating on this side of the funny book pages today. Period. If you have a better choice, stuff it because you're wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! I love his work on nearly everything he's done, but Super F*ckers, Johnny Boo, and Monkey vs. Robot stand out as his best. Or do they? Many people say that his Sketchbook Diaries are a lot of fun, but I've never really check them out. I hope these volumes surprise me just as much as his other work has.

Will You Still Love Me if I Wet the Bed? by Liz Prince
I literally held this book in my hand this past weekend. I had done so probably on at least five or six occasions before then. I never picked it up. I am a real big jerk. However, redemption comes in many forms, and this time it comes in the shape of three wrinkly George Washingtons. I know you're not supposed to judge a book but its cover, but to hell with conventional reasoning. This is serious, damnit! The title is just stellar and the art looks fantastic. Battling the Surrogates for the top reading spot will be this little title of relationship vignettes. Not only am I a sucker for good Sci-Fi, I love reading about relationship comic books. Not in a 90210 sort of way, just the type of comics that look at the real side of life and love. This looks like it will fit the bill nicely.

Bacchus Vol. 1 by Eddie Campbell
Eddie Campbell is one of my favorite artists, but I have neglected to pick up any of his Bacchus comics or trades. I feel real reformed-Southern Baptist guilt over this. Catholic guilt can't even hold a candle to that type of guilt! The story of Greek Gods surviving into the modern era is a compelling framework for the series. And for $3, how could I pass this opportunity up?

There's more to my massive order, but I won't go into details just yet about those other purchases. Why? Well, I figure I can squeeze another article of them. Plus, I want you to stop reading this, get off your ass (at least your digital ass) and head over to Top Shelf right now to buy some great comics! I promise you will be satisfied. That is unless you have no soul, in which case, it's probably tough convincing you of anything.

8 comments:

Patrick Gaffney said...

Thanks for the tips Brandon. I was looking at that sale yesterday trying to figure out what to order. Now I have a couple of ideas!

Mr`Orange said...

I've only read Surrogates from that list, and I highly recommend it, a very enjoyable book, hopefully the movie does it justice.

Brandon said...

I saw that there was going to be a movie of it on the sales page, but that was news to me. But Bruce Willis? His casting makes me a wee bit nervous...

Unknown said...

Dang, Brandon. How long have I been trying to get you to read The Surrogates anyway? I'm telling you again that I highly recommend it. This time I'm turning up the heat though, by recommending it from one Philip K. Dick fan to another.

Brandon said...

ARGH! Philip K. Dick is like kryptonite to manhood. How dare you use that argument against me?!?!?!

But seriously, I'm super-jived about reading it. So excited that I even tried to tell Jenn about it. As per usual, she just looked blankly and unenthusiastically at me, but she was glad that I saved some money with this sale.

There's a classic joke to be made about the female mind in there somewhere, but I don't want the queen fangirls here to kill me.

The General said...

Oh, I should pick up that Bacchus trade. It's one of those things that has been on the edge of my radar for a long time now, because I like the concept. But, that I never think to actually grab. Maybe now.

Brandon said...

How soon is now?

The General said...

Bought it earlier today. Along with the hardcover version of From Hell (which was a little more than $3).